Pumpkin. The quintessential Fall staple, I mean is it even Fall if you do not have copious amounts of pumpkin spice?? To keep up with my pumpkin spice quota I decided to whip up my favorite scone recipe, and add you guessed it…PUMPKIN!
This recipe is everything I want and more, when thinking about the perfect pumpkin scone. Perfectly buttery, flaky and moist; pumpkin for breakfast (or dessert) has never tasted this good! Enjoy 🙂
Pumpkin Spiced Scones
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Bake Time: 20-25 Minutes
Yields: 12 Scones
- 2 3/4 cups AP Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 3/4 tspn salt
- 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 large eggs
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Work in the butter using a pastry cutter or two knifes just until the mixture is crumbly; butter should be pea sized but it is OK if there are some larger or smaller bits.
- Stir in the walnuts and raisins.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpkin and eggs until well combined.
- Add the pumpkin/egg to the dry ingredients and stir until all is moistened and incorporated.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; lightly sprinkle flour over the parchment.
- Divide the dough in half while still in the bowl. Scrape each half onto the floured parchment and round into a 6″ circle and about an inch thick.
- Brush each circle with milk, and using a knife that you’ve run under cold water, slice each circle into 6 even wedges.
- Slightly separate the wedges from the center, there should be about a 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of space between pieces.
- Place the pan of scones uncovered in the freezer to chill for about 30 minutes, this will create an amazing texture and rise when baked. While scones are chilling preheat oven to 425 F.
- Bake the scones for 22 to 25 minutes, or until they’re golden brown; the edges should look baked through, not wet or doughy.
- Remove the scones from the oven; serve warm or keep refrigerated in an air tight container.