In honor of the largest Mega-Millions Jackpot being won this past Tuesday, I thought I would make something that would have even the losers feeling like a millionaire.
This Millionaire’s shortbread is layers of buttery shortbread cookie, decadent caramel and rich chocolate; one bite and you’ll be feeling like you’ve just won the lottery.
Prep Time: 1 Hour
Total: 3 Hours
Serves: 16 squares
- 1 & 1/2 sticks unsalted butter; room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 & 3/4 cup AP Flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 4oz salted butter, room temperature
- coarse sea salt; for sprinkling (I used Maldon’s Sea Salt)
- 1 & 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate
- 4 tbs unsalted butter
- 2 tbs heavy cream; room temp
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Line 9 x 9 baking pan with two long pieces of parchment paper, leave enough length that parchment flaps over sides. (This will allow for easy removal!)
- For shortbread; combine butter and sugar in stand mixer and beat on med speed until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and add vanilla.
- In a medium bowl sift together flour and salt.
- Slowly add to the butter and sugar mixture.
- Continue to mix together until dough forms, transfer into pre-lined baking pan and evenly press dough with your hands to spread out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until edges are golden; remove and allow to cool.
- While the shortbread is baking combine sugar, honey, and vanilla extract in sauce pan over med heat.
- Let them melt together and cook until caramelized about 300 F. (It will slowly become a deep amber/caramel color)
- While the sugar is caramelizing, heat cream in microwave for about 20 seconds to warm.
- When the sugar reaches the temp or color you like whisk butter in a tablespoon at a time; mix well.
- Add the warmed cream, whisk until smooth. Let this mixture cook until the temperature reaches about 230-235 F.
- Pour the hot caramel into a heat safe bowl and allow to cool for 30 minutes.
- When shortbread and caramel are cooled, pour the caramel mixture over shortbread. Use rubber spatula to evenly spread over the shortbread. (*Optional* You can sprinkle some flaked sea salt over the caramel at this point)
- Transfer to the fridge to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- While the shortbread and caramel are cooling, place chocolate and butter in microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 minute; stopping every 20 seconds to stir.
- Remove from the microwave and stir until all chocolate morsels are melted, add in cream and stir until well combined.
- Pour chocolate mixture over cooled caramel and shortbread layers.
- Place in the fridge to cool for at least 2 hours, or overnight.
- Remove from fridge an hour before serving, and enjoy!