One of the many reasons I love going to New York City is the diversity of the food. One second you’re in Little Italy being lured by the gelato stands, and the next you’re in Chinatown sipping down a Boba Tea. One of my go-to’s when I am in the city is Chelsea Market, not only does it offer a variety of food options but they house Los Tacos No. 1, and just like the name they have the best dang tacos ever!!
Being the taco-loving girl that I am, I thought it would be appropriate to try making my own tacos. Since it’s summer I thought what’s better than a fish taco–a light flaky white fish sitting on a bed of broccoli slaw, garnished with charred corn, queso fresco and avocado crema. Are you drooling yet? See below for the recipe, and remember to comment and like!
Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 Minutes
Serves: 3-4 people
For the avocado crema
- 1 large avocado
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, thicker stems removed
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
For the rest
- 1 pound cod (really any mild white fish will do)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 juiced lime (divided)
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 package broccoli slaw (this is found in the produce section by bagged salads)
- 1 corn on the cob, cut off the cob raw and then sauteed in pan until golden
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Queso Fresco, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combined garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Rub cod with olive oil, and half of the juiced lime (this will be about 1 ½ tbsp.) then sprinkle seasoning on top side of fish, use it all up!
- Bake fish for about 15 minutes, until the fish is cooked through.
- To make the broccoli slaw, combine the rest of the lime juice with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the crema, blend all ingredients in a blender until smooth!
- Heat the corn tortillas in pan to warm. Fill tortillas with a few tablespoons of broccoli slaw.
- Break the cod up slightly with two forks. Place cod over slaw, then add the charred corn and cilantro. Finish with a drizzle of crema and queso fresco